5 Days from £ 1,165 per person
Experience the Yaeyama Islands as an extension to your Japan trip.
Located between Japan and Taiwan, the Yaeyama Islands are ideal for those who wish to experience ‘untouched’ Okinawa that has a different feel from the main island. These subtropical islands are famous for their sandy beaches and fantastic diving and snorkeling spots with rich, beautiful landscapes both underwater and on the islands.
On this self-guided tour, land in Ishigaki, the main hub of the Yaeyama Islands, to visit Taketomi and Iriomote, both islands with an abundance of nature and sights.
- Stay at Ishigaki, the main island of the Yaeyama island chain.
Visit Taketomi Island, a traditional Okinawan village and one of Japan’s important cultural assets.
- Travel to Iriomote Island, an island abundant with nature and almost untouched by man.
- Stop at Yubu Island, a small island off the coast of Iriomote, where you can have a short relaxing water buffalo ride accompanied by Okinawan music.
Tour ref: OKI1
Day 1 : Arrival at Ishigaki
Arrive at Ishigaki Airport from either Osaka or Tokyo.
Pick up your car at the airport and start your journey. Travel to your hotel and check in. Stay at the Ishigaki Resort Grand Vrio or similar for four nights.
Day 2 : Ishigaki – Taketomi Island – Ishigaki
Drive to the port and board the ferry to Taketomi Island, a short 15 minute boat ride away. Hire a bicycle to explore the Island at your leisure, famous for beaches such as Kaiji beach, the ‘star sand beach’’; and Kondoi beach, one of the most beautiful white sandy beaches in the Yaeyama Islands. In the evening, return to Ishigaki by ferry and drive back to the hotel.
Day 3 : Ishigaki – Iriomote – Ishigaki
Explore Ishigaki by car or travel to Iriomote Island.
Drive to the port and board a boat as part of a tour to Iriomote Island, taking approximately 40 minutes. Participate in a short river cruise up the Nakama River before visiting Yubu Island with its botanical garden by water buffalo cart. Whilst on Iriomote, keep an eye out for the Iriomote Cat, a species only found in Iriomote.
Depart in the afternoon by boat to Ishigaki and have the rest of the day at your leisure.
Day 4 : Ishigaki
Explore the island by car. Visit some of Ishigaki’s beaches such as Yonehara Beach, one of Okinawa’s white sand beaches, or Kabira Bay, a 3 star Michelin beach. At Kabira Bay, glass-bottomed boats are available to view the coral as well as the smaller islands clustered by the beach.
Day 5 : Ishigaki – Mainland Japan
Travel to Ishigaki Airport by car and return the car to the rental place by the airport. Return to mainland Japan by plane.
per person sharing twin room
Total package price is a “from” price, and is subject to availability of accommodation on the requested dates of travel. Alternatives or upgrades are available.
- 4 nights’ accommodation in Okinawa at the Ishigaki Resort Grand Vrio resort or similar. Breakfast included.
- Return speedboat tickets to Taketomi Island.
- Bicycle hire on Taketomi Island.
- Tour on Iriomote and Yufu Island on Day 3.
- 1 lunch included on Day 3.
- Return ferry tickets to Iriomote Island.
- Return flights between Tokyo or Osaka and Ishigaki island on JAL or ANA economy class, including taxes and surcharges included.
- 5 days car hire (compact-size car)
- Any sightseeing, excursions, guiding or entrance fees not mentioned in the itinerary
- Travel Insurance
- Any meals and beverages not shown in the itinerary
- Incidental costs such as personal laundry, drinks, snacks
- Passport and other visa document fees (UK citizens do not need a visa for stays up to 90 days in Japan)
- Any excess baggage (over 23kg on economy flights)