Tour Japan taking in one of the country’s most important World Heritage Sites. Takayama’s streets of old wooden houses offer a glimpse of life in Japan’s bygone days. The highlight of Shirakawago are unique structures called Gassho-Zukuri, or “joined-hands” thatched farmhouses, many of which are well preserved and still used. At Gokayama, another World Heritage village, you can experience making Gokayama Washi, traditional Japanese paper. Stay at Kanazawa, and visit the Kenrokuen, one of Japan’s three most beautiful traditional gardens; also visit the Old Samurai Residence. Finally in Kyoto, a former capital of Japan, visit the World Heritage sites of Kinkakuji Temple and the Heian Shrine.
- Stay in Tokyo, with city sightseeing
- Full day excursion to Kamakura
- Coach to the Fuji/Hakone National Park, and stay overnight in accommodation with hot spring baths
- Visit Takayama, a historic town
- See the traditional farmhouses at Shirakawago, a World Heritage site
- 2 nights in Kyoto, with full day guided sightseeing
04 Jan – 22 Feb, 15 Jul – 23 Aug: Mondays & Fridays
26 Feb – 08 July, 26 Aug – 18 Dec: Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays
08, 10 Apr
24-Apr till 03 May
11, 13, 18 Sep
4 & 16 Oct
06 Jan – 24 Feb, 24 Jul – 28 Aug: Mondays & Fridays
2 Mar – 17 Jul, 30 Aug-21 Dec: Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays
22 Apr – 1 May
16 & 17 Sep
9 & 14 Oct
Day 1 : Depart London
Depart from London Heathrow.
Day 2 : Arrive Tokyo
Arrive at Narita Airport
An English-speaking tour representative will meet you at the airport, who will assist you in boarding a pre-arranged taxi taking you to your hotel in Tokyo.
As you will be arriving before the designated check in time, please leave your bags at the hotel reception and enjoy doing some light sightseeing.
Free time after arrival
Day 3 : Tokyo
Morning tour of Tokyo.
Visit the Imperial Palace Plaza, Tsukiji Outer Fish Market, Kabukiza Theater , Tokyo Skytree Town and Sensoji Temple (Asakusa Kannon) & Nakamise Shopping Arcade.
Visit the Imperial Palace Plaza, Tsukiji Outer Fish Market, and Sensoji Temple (Asakusa Kannon) & Nakamise Shopping Arcade.
Day 4 : Tokyo - Kamakura & Enoshima - Tokyo
Join a full-day excursion to Kamakura and Enoshima by coach with English-speaking guide.
In the morning, visit Jomyo-ji Temple and experience the Tea Ceremony at an acclaimed tea-house established over 400 years ago. Continue to Hokoku-ji Temple and its peaceful bamboo grove. After lunch (Buddhist vegetarian cuisine), visit Kotoku-in Temple with its Great Buddha (44ft tall). Drive back to Tokyo via a relaxing stop at Enoshima, a small offshore island famous for its views of Mt.Fuji across the bay (weather permitting). Tour disbands on arrival at Ginza (approx 17:00) or Shinjuku (approx. 18:40).
Day 5 : Tokyo – Mt.Fuji – Hakone
Leave your larger bags in the hotel reception, as they will be transferred to Takayama. Please ensure to keep a small overnight bag for your stay in Hakone.
Board a chartered coach to the foot of Mt. Fuji via the expressway. Then drive halfway up Japan’s highest mountain to enjoy a spectacular view from a height of 2,300 meters. Enjoy Japanese-style lunch. In the afternoon, proceed to Hakone for a cruise on Lake Ashi and Mt. Komagatake Ropeway. Stay overnight in Hakone in accommodation with hot spring baths.
Day 6 : Hakone – Takayama
An English-speaking tour guide will meet you at your accommodation in the morning. From there proceed to Odawara Station by taxi.
From Odawara Station take the bullet train to Nagoya Station
**Note your tour guide will not be on board the bullet train to Nagoya**
Upon arrival into Nagoya station an English speaking guide will meet you at Nagoya station, they will help you board the limited express train to Takayama, an ancient, tranquil city called “Little Kyoto”.
In the afternoon, stroll through Takayama, visiting Yatai Kaikan Hall where colourfully decorated traditional festival floats are displayed; Kusakabe Folkcraft Museum, formerly the residence of powerful merchants under government patronage; and the streets of Kami Sannomachi, which preserve traditional Japanese wooden houses.
Day 7 : Takayama – Shirakawago – Kanazawa
Leave your larger bags in the hotel reception, as they will be transferred to Kyoto. Please ensure to keep a small overnight bag for your stay in Kanazawa.
Meet with your English speaking guide and visit the famous morning market of Takayama.
After visiting the morning market enjoy a scenic drive, by Lake Miboro and along Shokawa River to Shirakawago, designated a World Heritage Site in 1995. Its highlights are unique structures called Gassho-Zukuri, or “joined-hands” farmhouses.
Arrive in Kanazawa in the evening.
Day 8 : Kanazawa – Kyoto
Meet with your English speaking guide and spend the morning sightseeing in Kanazawa, visiting Kenrokuen, one of Japan’s three most beautiful traditional gardens; Kutaniyaki Pottery kiln; Old Samurai Residence, Higashi-chaya street and Farmer House “Shima.”
In the afternoon, take the limited-express train to Kyoto on your own. Upon arrive an English speaking guide will meet you in Kyoto.
Day 9 : Kyoto
Full day sightseeing of Kyoto, visiting Kinkakuji Temple (Golden Pavilion), Nijo Castle, Kyoto Imperial Palace. After lunch at Handicraft Center, visiting Sanjusangendo Temple, Heian Jingu Shrine, Kiyomizu dera Temple.
Day 10 : Kyoto – KIX – London
Transfer to Kansai Airport (KIX) by taxi transfer service. Depart from Kansai international airport (Osaka).
04 Jan – 14 Mar
7 Dec – 18 Dec
From £3,044 per person*
(single supplement: from £527)
15 Mar – 6 Dec
From £3,396 per person*
(single supplement: from £506)
06 Jan – 11 Mar
7 Dec – 21 Dec
From £3,015 per person*
(single supplement: from £738)
13 Mar – 4 Dec
From £3,409 per person*
(single supplement: from £671)
*All prices are per person, sharing twin room in standard (3 star) accommodation. Superior (4-star) accommodation is available upon request.
Total package price is a “from” price, and is subject to availability of flights on the specified airline in the required class of travel. Different airlines may be offered, at different package prices, depending on availability on your selected dates of travel.
- Return flights London-Tokyo, Osaka-London on economy class including taxes and other charges (flight prices may vary)
- Assisted transfer to/from the airport and the hotel
- 8 nights accommodation in Japan (3 in Tokyo, 1 in Hakone, Takayama & Kanazawa and 2 in Kyoto) at hotels of the class indicated including daily breakfast
- 3 Lunches (Day 4, 5 and 9)
- English-speaking guide services from Day 5 to 7
- Luggage Transfer – your luggage will be transported separately from Tokyo to Takayama on Day 5. Allowance of one piece per person. For the overnight stay in Hakone we recommend you take just a light overnight bag with you. For extra luggage, JPY2,800 will be charged per piece locally.
- Luggage Transfer – your luggage will be transported separately from Takayama to Kyoto on Day 7. Allowance of one piece per person. For the overnight stay in Kanazawa we recommend you take just a light overnight bag with you. For extra luggage, JPY2,800 will be charged per piece locally.
- Travel Insurance
- Any meals and beverages not shown in the above itinerary
- Incidental costs such as personal laundry, drinks, snacks
- Passport and other visa document fees (UK citizens do not need a visa for stays up to 90 days in Japan)
- Any excess baggage (over 23kg on Economy flights)
- EXTRA ARRANGEMENTS: Extension in Tokyo, Kyoto or personal tours before or after the scheduled tour