Tour Japan taking in one of the country’s most important World Heritage Sites. Takayama’s streets of old wooden houses offer a glimpse of life in Japan’s bygone days. The highlight of Shirakawago are unique structures called Gassho-Zukuri, or “joined-hands” thatched farmhouses, many of which are well preserved and still used. At Gokayama, another World Heritage village, you can experience making Gokayama Washi, traditional Japanese paper. Stay at Kanazawa, and visit the Kenrokuen, one of Japan’s three most beautiful traditional gardens; also visit the Old Samurai Residence. Finally in Kyoto, a former capital of Japan, visit the World Heritage sites of Kinkakuji Temple and the Heian Shrine.
- Stay in Tokyo, with city sightseeing
- Full day excursion to Kamakura
- Coach to the Fuji/Hakone National Park, and stay overnight in accommodation with hot spring baths
- Visit Takayama, a historic town
- See the traditional farmhouses at Shirakawago, a World Heritage site
- 2 nights in Kyoto, with full day guided sightseeing
|04 Jan – 22 Feb 2019,||Mon, Fri||Feb: 01|
|25 Feb – 30 Sep, 10 Nov – 18 Dec:||Mon, Wed, Fri||Mar: 01
Apr: 08, 10, 24
Jul: 24 – Aug 01
Sep: 11, 13, 18
Day 1 : Depart London
Depart from London Heathrow on Finnair via Helsinki overnight flight to Tokyo.
Day 2 : Arrive Tokyo
Arrive at Tokyo Narita Airport. Meeting staff at customs exit to provide assistance in boarding airport bus to the hotel in Tokyo.
Day 3 : Tokyo
Morning tour of Tokyo.
Visit the Imperial Palace Plaza, Tsukiji Outer Fish Market, Kabukiza Theater , Tokyo Skytree Town and Sensoji Temple (Asakusa Kannon) & Nakamise Shopping Arcade.
Day 4 : Tokyo - Kamakura & Enoshima - Tokyo
Join a full day excursion to Kamakura and Enoshima by coach with English-speaking guide.
In the morning, visit Jomyo-ji Temple and experience the Tea Ceremony at an acclaimed tea-house established over 400 years ago. Continue to Hokoku-ji Temple and its peaceful bamboo grove. After lunch (Buddhist vegetarian cuisine), visit Kotoku-in Temple with its Great Buddha (44ft tall). Drive back to Tokyo via a relaxing stop at Enoshima, a small offshore island famous for its views of Mt.Fuji across the bay (weather permitting). Tour disbands on arrival at Ginza (approx 17:00) or Shinjuku (approx. 18:40).
Day 5 : Tokyo – Mt.Fuji – Hakone
Deluxe coach to the foot of Mt. Fuji via expressway. Then drive halfway up Japan’s highest mountain to enjoy a spectacular view from a height of 2,300 meters. Enjoy Japanese-style lunch. In the afternoon, proceed to Hakone for a cruise on Lake Ashi and Mt. Komagatake Ropeway. Stay overnight in Hakone in accommodation with hot spring baths.
Day 6 : Hakone – Takayama
In the morning, drive to Odawara and board a Bullet Train for Nagoya. Transfer to a limited-express for Takayama, an ancient, tranquil city called “Little Kyoto”. Afternoon, stroll through Takayama, visiting Yatai Kaikan Hall where colourfully decorated traditional festival floats are displayed; Kusakabe Folkcraft Museum, formerly the residence of powerful merchants under government patronage; and the streets of Kami Sannomachi, which preserve traditional Japanese wooden houses.
Day 7 : Takayama – Shirakawago – Kanazawa
Visit the famous morning market of Takayama. Scenic drive by Lake Miboro and along Shokawa River to Shirakawago, designated a World Heritage Site in 1995. Its highlights are unique structures called Gassho-Zukuri, or “joined-hands” farmhouses. Then visit Gokayama, another World Heritage village, where you can experience making Gokayama Washi, traditional Japanese paper. Arrive in Kanazawa in the evening.
Day 8 : Kanazawa – Kyoto
Morning sightseeing in Kanazawa, visiting Kenrokuen, one of Japan’s three most beautiful traditional gardens; Kutaniyaki Pottery kiln; Old Samurai Residence, Higashi-chaya street and Farmer House “Shima.” In the afternoon, limited-express train to Kyoto, arriving in the evening.
Day 9 : Kyoto
Full day sightseeing of Kyoto, visiting Kinkakuji Temple (Golden Pavilion), Nijo Castle, Kyoto Imperial Palace. After lunch at Handicraft Center, visiting Sanjusangendo Temple, Heian Jingu Shrine, Kiyomizu dera Temple.
Day 10 : Kyoto – KIX – London
Transfer to Kansai Airport (KIX) by taxi transfer service. Depart Osaka Kansai on Finnair flight to London Heathrow via Helsinki, arriving same day.
|04 Jan – 22 Feb 2019:||£ 2,644||£ 2,791|
|25 Feb – 08 Jul:||£ 2,703||£ 2,908|
|15 Jul – 23 Aug:||£ 2,753||£ 2,958|
|10 Nov – 18 Dec:||£ 2,703||£ 2,908|
|Single Suppl.:||£ 406||£ 467|
All prices are per person, sharing twin room
The total package price shown is a “from” price, and is subject to availability of flights on the specified airline(s) in the required class of travel. Different airlines may be offered, at different package prices, depending on availability on your selected dates of travel.
- Return flight London-Tokyo, Osaka-London on Finnair economy class via Helsinki, including taxes and other charges
- Assisted transfer to/from the airport and the hotel
- 8 nights accommodation in Japan (3 in Tokyo, 1 in Hakone, Takayama & Kanazawa and 2 in Kyoto) at hotels of the class indicated including daily breakfast
- 3 Lunches (Day 4, 5 and 9)
- English-speaking guide services from Day 5 to 7
- Luggage Transfer – your luggage will be transported separately from Hakone to Kyoto on Day 6. Allowance of one piece per person. For the overnight stay in Takayama and Kanazawa we recommend you take just a light overnight bag with you. For extra luggage, JPY2,200 will be charged per piece locally.
- Travel Insurance
- Any meals and beverages not shown in the above itinerary
- Incidental costs such as personal laundry, drinks, snacks
- Passport and other visa document fees (UK citizens do not need a visa for stays up to 90 days in Japan)
- Any excess baggage (over 23kg on Economy flights)
- EXTRA ARRANGEMENTS: Extension in Tokyo, Kyoto or personal tours before or after the scheduled tour