This tour visits Mt.Koya, where some of the most historic Buddhist temples in the country nestle in peaceful hillside and forest.
Flying into Osaka(KIX) airport makes it a convenient and cost-effective way of combining the highlights of this tour. After a stay in Kyoto, including guided sightseeing and time to relax and explore this fascinating city, the tour continues to Mt.Koya. Stay at a shukubo – temple lodgings – and take the same basic fare as the monks for dinner and breakfast.
Arriving in Tokyo, a morning sightseeing tour is included, and full day trips to Nikko – a World Heritage site of temples in the wooded hills around 70 miles from Tokyo – and to the Fuji-Hakone National Park for views of Lake Ashi and the iconic mountain itself.
- Visit Kyoto with half day city tour
- Travel to Mt.Koya for overnight stay
- Bullet train to Tokyo, half day city tour
- Excursion to the Shinto shrines of Nikko
- Coach to the Fuji/Hakone National Park for views of Mt.Fuji
2017: Every Saturday between 25 Feb – 25 November
Day 1 : (Sat) Depart London
Depart from London Heathrow on overnight flight to Kansai International Airport (KIX)
Day 2 : (Sun) KIX – Kyoto
Arrive at Kansai International Airport, and take airport bus to hotel in Kyoto. Stay for 4 nights.
Day 3 : (Mon) Kyoto
Morning tour of Kyoto, a former capital of Japan, visiting Nijo Castle, Kinkakuji Temple (Golden Pavilion), and the Imperial Palace. Afternoon free at leisure.
Day 4 : (Tue) Kyoto
Full day free to explore this historic city.
These two days are an opportunity to tailor-make this tour according to your own preferences by taking optional tours. Offered today:
- Half day excursion to Nara
- Kyoto Special Night Tour
Day 5 : (Wed) Kyoto
Another opportunity to tailor-make this tour according to your own preferences by taking optional tours. Offered today:
- Sagano Bamboo Grove and Arashiyama Walking Tour
- Hiroshima & Miyajima full day tour
- Maiko Dinner
Day 6 : (Thu) Kyoto – Mt.Koya
Make your way to the meeting place at Granvia Hotel in Osaka. An English-speaking guide will meet you and travel with you by train to Mt.Koya. On arrival, continue into town with the guide by cablecar and coach. After Japanese lunch, walk to Okuno-in Temple with guide, then to the other side of Mt.Koya, to the Danjo Garan complex (Konpon Daito/Main Hall). Arrive at the shukubo (temple lodging) around 4pm.
Stay 1 night at Fukuchi-in (Temple lodging). Dinner is included (shojin ryori: Japanese-style vegetarian – typical monk’s fare). After dinner, futon mattresses will be prepared on the tatami mat floor. Washroom facilities are shared (no private ensuite facilities).
Day 7 : (Fri) Mt.Koya - Tokyo
Those who wish may participate in the morning devotions from 6am.
Japanese breakfast served at around 8am.
This day is free at leisure, to visit other notable places around the small town on foot. Kongobuji Temple, the mausoleum of the Tokugawa family and the Nyonindo Temple are all close to your lodging. Other places are a slightly longer walk, such as the Daimon Gate and Reihokan Museum. At around 15:15 return to Osaka, retracing your journey: bus from the main street to Koyasan station, cablecar to Gokurakubashi station, then train to Osaka Namba station.
Take the Bullet train to Tokyo. On arrival, travel to hotel by yourself (take taxi or Tokyo Metro). Stay for 4 nights.
Day 8 : (Sat) Tokyo
In the morning, join Tokyo tour with English-speaking guide, visiting Tokyo Tower, the Imperial Palace Plaza and Nakamise Shopping Arcade.
Afternoon free at leisure.
Day 9 : (Sun) Tokyo - Nikko - Tokyo
Today, take a full day excursion to Nikko. The Toshogu Shrine with its Yomeimon Gate, built in 1636 and decorated with more than 500 carvings, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. After a Japanese lunch, return via picturesque Tamozawa Imperial Villa and Kirifuri Waterfall.
Day 10 : (Mon) Tokyo – Mt.Fuji & Hakone – Tokyo
Today, take a full day excursion to the Mt.Fuji Hakone National Park. Mt.Fuji, the highest mountain in Japan, rises 3,776 metres above sea level. It is considered one of the most beautiful conical volcanoes in the world. The volcano has been inactive for over 250 years. Drive up to the 5th station on the mountain, to enjoy the view from 2,300 metres. After lunch, cruise on Lake Ashi, and ascend the Mt.Komagatake Ropeway for a view of Mt.Fuji from a distance (weather permitting).
Day 11 : (Tue) Tokyo - London
Airport bus coupon provided for transfer to Tokyo Narita Airport for departure on flight to London Heathrow, arriving the same day.
|Dep.from UK||Hotel grade: Standard||Superior|
|25 Feb – 22 Jul||£ 2,263||£ 2,679|
|23 Jul – 30 Sep||£ 2,525||£ 2,749|
|01 Oct – 22 Nov||£ 2,263||£ 2,679|
|Single room supplement||£ 785||£ 967|
All prices are per person
Total package price is a “from” price, and is subject to availability of flights on the specified airline(s) in the required class of travel. Different airlines may be offered, at different package prices, depending on availability on your selected dates of travel.
- Return flight London-KIX, Narita-London on Finnair economy class via Helsinki, including taxes and other charges
- Airport bus coupon for transfer to/from the airport and the hotel
- 9 nights accommodation in Japan (4 in Kyoto, 1 in Mt.Koya, 4 in Tokyo) at hotels of the class indicated including daily breakfast (except at Mt.Koya where all accommodation is at temple lodging Fukuchi-in, with basic facilities)
- 3 Lunches (Day 6, 9 and 10) and 1 dinner (Day 6)
- English-speaking guide services on Day 3, and Day 6 – 10
- Trains (standard class) and coach transfers as specified.
- Travel Insurance
- Any meals and beverages not shown in the above itinerary
- Incidental costs such as personal laundry, drinks, snacks
- Passport and other visa document fees (UK citizens do not need a visa for stays up to 90 days in Japan)
- Any excess baggage (over 23kg on Economy flights)
- EXTRA ARRANGEMENTS: Optional tours on day 4 & 5 Extension in Tokyo, Kyoto or personal tours before or after the scheduled tour