Take in the major historic sites of Japan on this semi-escorted tour. After a stay in Tokyo, with a guided tour of the city, travel to Nikko, around 95 miles north of Tokyo, and one of Japan’s most beautiful shrines. Then the historic city of Kyoto is used as a base to explore nearby Nara, an former capital of Japan in the 8th century, and take a trip on the Bullet train to Hiroshima. At Miyajima, near Hiroshima, visit the Itsukushima-jinja Shrine; its torii or traditional gate appears to float on the water.
- Visit Tokyo, with half-day sightseeing
- Excursion to Nikko and Mt.Fuji
- Stay overnight in a hotel in Hakone
- Based in Kyoto, visit Nara, a former capital of Japan, Hiroshima and the Itsukushima Shrine.
05 Jan – 9 Mar, 01 Jun – 21 Sep, 2 Nov -14 Dec: Saturdays
16 Mar – 27 May, 24 Sep – 25 Oct: Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays & Saturdays
04 Jan – 29 Feb: Saturdays
18 Mar – 27 May, 26 Sep – 26 Oct: Daily
5-14 Mar, 28 May – 24 Sep, 2 Nov – 19 Dec: Mondays, Thursdays & Saturdays
8, 22 February; 9,22,24 March; 17 April – 3, 5, 10, 12, 14, 15, 17, 20, 24, 26 May; 6-13, 20, 23 July; 1-10 August; 12-19, 30 September; 1, 3-5, 7,8,13-15, 21, 22, 25 October; 14-19, 30 November; 7, 14 December.
Day 1 : Depart London
Depart from London Heathrow on overnight flight to Tokyo.
Day 2 : Arrive Tokyo
Arrive at Tokyo Narita Airport. Meeting staff at customs exit to provide assistance in boarding a reserved taxi to your hotel in Tokyo.
Day 3 : Tokyo
Half day tour in Tokyo.
Visit the Imperial Palace Plaza, Tsukiji Outer Fish Market, Kabukiza Theater , Tokyo Skytree Town and Sensoji Temple (Asakusa Kannon) & Nakamise Shopping Arcade.
Visit the Imperial Palace Plaza, Tsukiji Outer Fish Market and Sensoji Temple (Asakusa Kannon) & Nakamise Shopping Arcade.
Day 4 : Tokyo – Nikko – Tokyo
Full day excursion to Nikko by coach. Nikko, around 95 miles north of Tokyo, is one of Japan’s most beautiful shrines. Take a relaxing excursion out of Tokyo to visit this magnificent historic complex. Now protected in a National Park, Nikko is one of Japan’s most important UNESCO World Heritage sites.
Visit the Toshogu Shrine, Tamozawa Imperial Villa and the Kirifuri Falls.
Visit the Toshogu Shrine, Lake chuzenji and Kegon Falls.
Day 5 : Tokyo – Mt.Fuji – Hakone
Travel by coach to the foot of Mt. Fuji via expressway. Then drive halfway up Japan’s highest mountain to enjoy a spectacular view from a height of 2,300 meters. Enjoy Japanese-style lunch. In the afternoon, proceed to Hakone for a cruise on Lake Ashi and Mt. Komagatake Ropeway. Stay overnight in Hakone in accommodation with hot spring baths.
Day 6 : Hakone – Nara – Kyoto
Morning drive to Odawara for a Bullet Train to Kyoto. After a Western-style lunch in Kyoto, continue on an afternoon tour of Nara, the first permanent capital of Japan. Visit Todaiji Temple housing a great image of Buddha, colourful Kasuga Taisha Shrine with 3,000 lanterns, and Nara Park (Deer Park) where tame deer roam. Return to Kyoto in the evening.
Day 7 : Kyoto
Full day sightseeing of Kyoto. In the morning, visiting Kinkakuji Temple (Golden Pavilion), Nijo Castle noted for its gorgeous interiors (when Nijo Castle is closed, visit Ryoanji Temple instead) and Kyoto Imperial Palace (on Sat., Sun & national holidays: visit Ryoanji Temple or Daitakuji Daisenin Temple instead). Lunch at Kyoto Handicraft Center. After lunch, sightseeing of the city visiting Sanjusangendo Temple with its 1,001 impressive images of Buddha, the hundreds tori (Shinto shrine gates) of Fushimi Inari Shrine and Kiyomizu dera Temple with its wooden veranda.
Day 8 : Kyoto – Hiroshima – Kyoto
Transfer to Kyoto station to board a Bullet Train for Hiroshima. On arrival go by coach and short ferry ride to Miyajima island, to see the picturesque Itsukushima Jinja Shrine. Return to Hiroshima to visit the Peace Memorial Park, Memorial Museum and the Atomic Bomb Dome. Return to Kyoto by a Bullet Train in the evening.
Day 9 : Kyoto
Full day free in the historic city of Kyoto.
Day 10 : Kyoto – KIX – London
Transfer to Kansai Airport(KIX) by taxi transfer service. Depart on flight to London Heathrow, arriving same day.
05 Jan – 14 Mar
7 Dec – 27 Dec
From £2,926 per person*
(single supplement: from £466)
15 Mar – 6 Dec
From £3,256 per person*
(single supplement: from £452)
04 Jan – 12 Mar
5 Dec – 19 Dec
From £2,996 per person*
(single supplement: from £674)
14 Mar – 4 Dec
From £3,467 per person*
(single supplement: from £540)
*All prices are per person, sharing twin room in standard (3 star) accommodation. Superior (4-star) accommodation is available upon request.
Total package price is a “from” price, and is subject to availability of flights on the specified airline in the required class of travel. Different airlines may be offered, at different package prices, depending on availability on your selected dates of travel.
- Return flight London-Tokyo, Osaka-London on economy class, including taxes and other charges
- Assisted transfer to/from the airport and the hotel
- 8 nights accommodation in Japan (3 in Tokyo, 1 in Hakone and 4 in Kyoto) at hotels of the class indicated including daily breakfast
- 4 Lunches (Day 3 to 6)
- English-speaking guide services from Day 3 to 8
- Luggage Transfer – your luggage will be transported separately from Tokyo to Kyoto on Day 5. Allowance of one piece per person. For the overnight stay in Hakone we recommend you take just a light overnight bag with you. For extra luggage, JPY2,200 will be charged per piece locally.
- Travel Insurance
- Any meals and beverages not shown in the above itinerary
- Incidental costs such as personal laundry, drinks, snacks
- Passport and other visa document fees (UK citizens do not need a visa for stays up to 90 days in Japan)
- Any excess baggage (over 23kg on Economy flights)
- EXTRA ARRANGEMENTS: Extension in Tokyo, Kyoto or personal tours before or after the scheduled tour