Take an afternoon excursion from Kyoto to visit historic Nara, which was Japan’s capital 710 – 784 AD (known as the Nara period). Many imposing buildings originally erected in that era are preserved. Todaiji Temple, one the world’s largest wooden structures, houses the great Buddha statue in bronze, nearly 15 metres high. Then on to the Kasuga Taisha Shrine; the interior is famous for its many bronze lanterns, and around three thousand stone lanterns line the path that lead up to it, through the Deer Park. The Todaiji Temple, together with the Kasuga Taisha Shrine, Nara Nagomikan and other important historic buildings in Nara are designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Todaiji Temple
- Nara Park
- Kasuga Taisha Shrine
- Nara Nagomikan
The tour can be joined from Osaka or Kyoto.
05 Jan – 30 Dec: DAILY
except date of Nara Marathon (08 December in 2019)
(based on taking the tour from Kyoto)
£ 60.00 per adult
£ 52.00 per child 6-11 yrs
Yen prices for reference:
Yen 7,700 per adult
Yen 6,700 per child 6-11 yrs
- Pick-up service from major hotels in Kyoto
- English-speaking guide service
- transportation by train and coach
- entrance fee (if required) to places mentioned in the itinerary
- Drop-off service (in Kyoto)
- Drop-off service (in Osaka)
From Osaka: 12:10 – 12.40
Pickup service from major hotels in Osaka, assemble at Hotel Granvia Osaka, take train to Kyoto.
From Kyoto: 13:15 – 13:40
Pick-up service from hotels to New Miyako Hotel.
New Miyako Hotel
All transportation on this tour is by bus.
Kyoto – Nara (70 min)
Head to Nara via the Nara Keinawa Expressway
Nara Park & Todai-ji Temple (Great Buddha) (60 min)
A UNESCO World Heritage Site, this is the symbol of the Nara Period and one of the world’s largest wooden structure. Its huge main hall and bronze Great Buddha are impressive to behold.
Kasuga Taisha Shrine (40 min)
This Nara Period shrine is designated as a World Heritage Site. The deer of Nara Park are thought to be the shrine messengers.
Remarks: The tour will not enter areas requiring admission.
Nara Nagomikan (20 min)
The largest souvenir shop in Nara. Enjoy yourself in this spacious shop and look for the perfect souvenir.
Remarks: This location may be omitted from the itinerary due to business hours or traffic congestion.
18:30 – 19:30
To hotels in Kyoto City
Remarks: During the Gion Festival (July 14 – 16), drop-off service to Karasuma Kyoto Hotel, Hotel Nikko Princess Kyoto, and Hotel Monterey Kyoto will be unavailable due to traffic restrictions.
Take train from Kintstesu-Nara station to Osaka Namba station, where the tour ends.
1. At Kasuga Taisha Shrine, the tour will not enter areas requiring admission.
2. During the Gion Festival (July 14 – 16), drop-off service to Karasuma Kyoto Hotel, Hotel Nikko Princess Kyoto, and Hotel Monterey Kyoto is unavailable due to traffic restrictions.
3. The tour may not visit Nara Nagomikan, if it is closed or due to traffic conditions.
4. Connection to the Kyoto Night Tour or Kyoto Maiko Tour is not possible.
from Kyoto: BUS1NN3101NNS
from Osaka: BUS1NP8601NNS