This special Ghibli-themed excursion includes special entry to the advance-reservation-only Ghibli Museum.
Starting from the Keio Plaza Hotel in Shinjuku, visit Hotel Gajoen Tokyo, and the Edo-Tokyo Open Air Architectural Museum, where quaint and historic buildings evoke the old-world atmosphere and backdrop of Ghibli films. Then spend 2½ hours at the Ghibli Museum in Mitaka.
- Meeting point: Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo. Travel by coach with English-speaking guide
- Visit Hotel Gajoen Tokyo, said to have inspired the Aburaya bath house in the Studio Ghibli film Spirited Away. Enjoy the atmosphere and savour a meal of the hotel’s prized cuisine.
- Edo-Tokyo Open Air Architectural Museum, an outdoor museum featuring historic buildings. Walk down streets lined with colorful and intriguing buildings which evoke an atmosphere just like in a Ghibli film. (On Mondays the museum is closed and Jindaiji Temple or Takahata Fudoson Temple will be visited instead)
- Spend 2½ hours at the Ghibli Museum.
The tour operates every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 4th January to 20th December 2019
(except when the Ghibli Museum is closed for annual maintenance or other reason – see details)
|Mon/Wed/Thu/Fri during:||Adult||Child 4 – 11 years|
|04 Jan – 28 Feb||£ 96.00||£ 85.00|
|01 Mar – 30 April||£ 100.00||£ 89.00|
|01 May – 21 Dec||£ 96.00||£ 85.00|
Free for infants 0-3 yrs
Yen prices for reference:
Yen 13,500 p/adult (Yen 14,000 March & April)
Yen 12,000 p/child 4-11 yrs (Yen 12,500 March & April)
- English-speaking guide service (except in museum)
- transportation by private coach
- visit and lunch at Hotel Gajoen Tokyo (no vegetarian option available)
- group entrance ticket to Studio Ghibli Museum
- Wed/Thu/Fri: entrance to Edo-Tokyo Open-Air Architectural Museum. On Mondays, the museum is closed and Jindaiji Temple or Takahata Fudoson Temple will be visited instead.
- drinks during lunch
Hotel Keio Plaza Shinjuku
Meet the English-speaking guide at the Keio Plaza Hotel South Tower 3rd floor (check-in counter)
Access: 5 minutes’ walk from Shinjuku Station if arriving by JR, Odakyu or Keio Lines.
Please arrive at least 10 minutes before the departure time, and show your reservation confirmation sheet at reception.
Depart with the English-speaking guide by coach.
Hotel Gajoen Tokyo
Take a commemorative photo and enjoy a buffet lunch at a spectacular, historic hotel said to be the inspiration for the Aburaya bath house in Spirited Away.
Vegetarian menu is not available. If the Hotel Gajoen Tokyo cannot serve lunch due to events taking place at the venue, it will be provided at another dining hall.
Edo-Tokyo Open Air Architectural Museum or Jindaiji Temple/Takahata Fudoson Temple
An outdoor museum featuring historical structures with high cultural significance which have been moved to the museum from their original sites, recreated and preserved for exhibit. Walk down streets lined with colorful and intriguing buildings which evoke an atmosphere just like in a Ghibli film.
As Edo-Tokyo Open Air Architectural Museum is closed on Mondays (excluding holidays), the tour will visit Jindaiji Temple or Takahata Fudoson Temple instead. The same applies for other closed days.
The museum features a plethora of exhibits including animation production processes, a reading room, as well as a Ghibli original short animated feature viewable only at the museum.
No guiding is allowed in the museum, so after arrival and entrance procedures, participants will have time to walk freely through the museum.
Return to Shinjuku
Drop-off near Shinjuku Station West Exit.
The guide can advise about onward transportation to your hotel or elsewhere.
1. If the minimum number of participants (1) is not met by 4 days before the scheduled date, the tour on that date may be cancelled.
2. The tour will be cancelled if the Ghibli Museum is closed due to unforeseen circumstances. Information on closed days in 2018 will be determined starting from January 2018. Please be aware that tour dates are subject to change.
If the tour cannot visit Hotel Gajoen Tokyo or Edo-Tokyo Open Air Architectural Museum due to facility circumstances, an alternate destination will be visited and the tour will still be held. Please note that in this case, refunds will not be provided.
4. Baby strollers cannot be taken into Ghibli Museum.
(There is a large space for ‘parking’ baby buggies on the ground floor by the entrance)
5. Children 3 years of age and younger may join the tour, but they will not be provided with bus seats or meals.
6. Participants may not go directly to the destination on their own, and may not join the tour midway. Leaving the tour midway at Ghibli Museum is allowed. In such cases, customers must head to their next destination on their own from Ghibli Museum, and no refunds will be provided.
7. The interpreter guide does not provide guidance inside the Ghibli Museum.
After arrival at the Ghibli Museum, participants will have time to walk freely through the museum once entrance procedures are finished.
8. Arrival times may be delayed by traffic conditions.
9. Please understand that vegetarian options are not available.
10. Edo-Tokyo Open Air Architectural Museum is closed on Mondays. (Open if Monday is a holiday.) In such cases, the tour will visit Jindaiji Temple or Takahata Fudoson Temple instead.
11. Lunch: if Hotel Gajoen cannot provide lunch due to special events taking place, the meal venue will be changed.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your inquiry, or call us on 020 8237 1605.
When calling, please have handy:
- the names and ages of all you are buying tickets for,
- your preferred date, and an alternative date if this is not available,
- your credit card details for payment.
As this tour is very popular and places are limited, we recommend you book well in advance to avoid disappointment.