Take in the major historic sites of Japan on this semi-escorted tour. After a stay in Tokyo, with a guided tour of the city, a full day excursion is included to see the Great Buddha at Kamakura, a marvel of bronze casting which now stands in the open after a tidal wave swept away the temple which housed it. Then the historic city of Kyoto is used as a base to explore nearby Nara, an former capital of Japan in the 8th century, and take a trip on the Bullet train to Hiroshima. At Miyajima, near Hiroshima, visit the Itsukushima-jinja Shrine; its torii or traditional gate appears to float on the water.
- Visit Tokyo, with half day sightseeing
- Excursion to Kamakura and Mt.Fuji
- Stay overnight in a hotel in Hakone
- Based in Kyoto, visit Nara, a former capital of Japan, Hiroshima and the Itsukushima Shrine.
|07 Jan – 06 Mar 2017, 27 Nov – 18 Dec:||Mon||Feb: 13|
|10 – 22 Mar, 06 – 16 Oct:||Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat||Mar: 11, 15
|24 Mar – 19 Apr:||Daily||Thursdays|
|05 May – 29 Sep, 20 Oct – 24 Nov:||Mon, Wed, Fri||Jun: 12
Jul: 07-14, 19, 26
Aug: 02-11, 16, 23
Day 1 : Depart London
Depart from London Heathrow on overnight flight to Tokyo.
Day 2 : Arrive Tokyo
Arrive at Tokyo Narita Airport. Meeting staff at customs exit to provide assistance in boarding a reserved taxi to your hotel in Tokyo.
Day 3 : Tokyo – Kamakura – Tokyo
Half day tour in Tokyo.
Visit Tokyo Tower, the Imperial Palace Plaza, Sensoji Temple (Asakusa Kannon) & Nakamise Shopping Arcade.
Tour ends at Akihabara, the district known as “Electric Town” famous for high-tech and electrical goods (alternatively, finish at Tokyo Station).
Day 4 : Tokyo
Join a full day excursion to Kamakura and Enoshima by coach with English-speaking guide.
In the morning, visit Jomyo-ji Temple and experience the Tea Ceremony at an acclaimed tea-house established over 400 years ago. Continue to Hokoku-ji Temple and its peaceful bamboo grove. After lunch (Buddhist vegetarian cuisine), visit Kotoku-in Temple with its Great Buddha (44ft tall). Drive back to Tokyo via a relaxing stop at Enoshima, a small offshore island famous for its views of Mt.Fuji across the bay (weather permitting). Tour disbands on arrival at Ginza (approx 17:00) or Shinjuku (approx. 18:40).
Day 5 : Tokyo – Mt.Fuji – Hakone
Travel by coach to the foot of Mt. Fuji via expressway. Then drive halfway up Japan’s highest mountain to enjoy a spectacular view from a height of 2,300 meters. Enjoy Japanese-style lunch. In the afternoon, proceed to Hakone for a cruise on Lake Ashi and Mt. Komagatake Ropeway. Stay overnight in Hakone.
Day 6 : Hakone – Nara – Kyoto
Morning drive to Odawara for a Bullet Train to Kyoto. After a Western-style lunch in Kyoto, continue on an afternoon tour of Nara, the first permanent capital of Japan. Visit Todaiji Temple housing a great image of Buddha, colourful Kasuga Taisha Shrine with 3,000 lanterns, and Nara Park (Deer Park) where tame deer roam. Return to Kyoto in the evening.
Day 7 : Kyoto
Full day sightseeing of Kyoto. In the morning, visiting Kinkakuji Temple (Golden Pavilion), Nijo Castle noted for its gorgeous interiors (when Nijo Castle is closed, visit Ryoanji Temple instead) and Kyoto Imperial Palace (on Sat., Sun & national holidays: visit Ryoanji Temple or Daitakuji Daisenin Temple instead). Lunch at Kyoto Handicraft Center. After lunch, sightseeing of the city visiting Sanjusangendo Temple with its 1,001 impressive images of Buddha, vermilion-hued Heian Jingu Shrine and Kiyomizu dera Temple with its wooden veranda.
Day 8 : Kyoto – Hiroshima – Kyoto
Transfer to Kyoto station to board a Bullet Train for Hiroshima. On arrival go by coach and short ferry ride to Miyajima island, to see the picturesque Itsukushima Jinja Shrine. Return to Hiroshima to visit the Peace Memorial Park, Memorial Museum and the Atomic Bomb Dome. Return to Kyoto by a Bullet Train in the evening.
Day 9 : Kyoto
Full day free in the historic city of Kyoto.
Day 10 : Kyoto – KIX – London
Transfer to Kansai Airport(KIX) by taxi transfer service. Depart on flight to London Heathrow, arriving same day.
|09 Jan – 26 Feb:||£ 2,438||£ 2,934|
|27 Feb – 21 Jul:||£ 2,679||£ 3,105|
|22 Jul – 30 Sep:||£ 2,729||£ 3,155|
|01 Oct – 10 Dec:||£ 2,679||£ 3,105|
|11 – 18 Dec:||£ 2,438||£ 2,934|
|Single Suppl.:||£ 564||£ 966|
All prices are per person, sharing twin room
Total package price is a “from” price, and is subject to availability of flights on the specified airline(s) in the required class of travel. Different airlines may be offered, at different package prices, depending on availability on your selected dates of travel.
- Return flight London-Tokyo, Osaka-London on Finnair economy class via Helsinki, including taxes and other charges
- Assisted transfer to/from the airport and the hotel
- 8 nights accommodation in Japan (3 in Tokyo, 1 in Hakone and 4 in Kyoto) at hotels of the class indicated including daily breakfast
- 4 Lunches (Day 3 to 6)
- English-speaking guide services from Day 3 to 8
- Luggage Transfer – your luggage will be transported separately from Tokyo to Kyoto on Day 5. Allowance of one piece per person. For the overnight stay in Hakone we recommend you take just a light overnight bag with you. For extra luggage, JPY2,200 will be charged per piece locally.
- Travel Insurance
- Any meals and beverages not shown in the above itinerary
- Incidental costs such as personal laundry, drinks, snacks
- Passport and other visa document fees (UK citizens do not need a visa for stays up to 90 days in Japan)
- Any excess baggage (over 23kg on Economy flights)
- EXTRA ARRANGEMENTS: Extension in Tokyo, Kyoto or personal tours before or after the scheduled tour